Sunday, July 31, 2011

Black-Eyed Pea and Cucumber Salad

The Hanrahans have generously given me more garden vegetables, and admittedly, I did not hide my delight! This time, cucumbers. I haven't cited this recipe because it is widely available on several online sites, none that seemed attributable to a specific person. Still, I'm so glad I found it!

Ingredients:

2 15-ounce cans of black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 cucumber, coarsely chopped
1/2 a large red onion (because I can never find a "small" red onion!)
cubes of feta cheese (buy the kind in the blocks, not the crumbles!)
kalamata olives, pitted, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice (juice of one lemon, if you are determined!)

I don't think I need to say too much about how to "cook" this salad, as it requires no cooking! But you can serve it chilled or at room temperature, with meat or as a meal. Rest assured, it will be my lunch for the next few days, with a good baguette (or zucchini bread, which is next on my list!).

No comments: