Monday, February 20, 2012

A Mid-February Treat: Mom's Ras Malai

I felt like making Rajma tonight, which, as much as it is comfort food, kind of warrants a dessert. I had some ricotta cheese at home that needed to be finished, and remembered that my mom has often used ricotta cheese to make this light, sweet Indian dessert. It's supposed to be eaten cold, but I somehow like it warmed up : )

Ingredients:

Cream:
1 15-ounce container of ricotta cheese (I use part skim)
1/3 cup of sugar to add to the cheese

Bake:
Grease a 9" square or round baking dish, and pour the cheese mixture into the dish evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or so (I actually went up to 45 tonight; I think the bake time depends on your oven). The cheese should look solid, but not browned.

Bring to a boil:
3 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar to add to the milk
1 teaspoon cardomom

Assemble:
Remove the cheese from the oven and let cool; also let the milk cool. Cut the cheese into whatever shape you like, and assemble on a serving tray or dessert dish. Ladle several tablespoons of the milk over each piece, and garnish with toasted almonds. Enjoy!

No comments: