Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Leena's Mushroom Soup with Truffle Oil

A clear pairing with Leena's Quinoa Bake, and also featured on her fabulous blog, Leena Loves, this soup is deceptively, indulgently good! Perfect for a cold December evening very close to Christmas!

Ingredients:
2 small or one medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 shallots, coarsely chopped
4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons of butter
1 10-ounce package of white button mushrooms
1 10-ounce package of baby bella mushrooms
1/4 cup of dried chantrelle or porcini mushrooms
1 32-ounce package of mushroom broth (Pacific makes a great one!)
truffle oil

Begin by chopping your onions and shallots and preparing your garlic. Sautee all three with about two tablespoons of butter while you wash and prepare the mushrooms. (The dried mushrooms will need to soaked in boiling water ahead of time). When the onions are translucent and your house smells heavenly (really!), add the mushrooms and sautee for a few minutes. I then covered the dutch oven for about five minutes before adding all of the mushroom broth; the entire package of broth will feel like a lot, but it reduces quickly. Bring the mushrooms and the broth to a boil, add the dried mushrooms, and then bring the soup to a simmer and keep it covered for about 25 minutes or so. When the mushrooms are tender, use an emulsion blender or regular blender to puree the soup. Serve with truffle oil and fresh chives.

4 comments:

Leena said...

Looks so good,friend!!

Leena said...

Looks so good, friend!

The Tribe of Five said...

I will def. have to try this--I have had a whole bottle of truffle oil in my cupboard for ages, but nothing to use it on!

The Tribe of Five said...

So, we DID try this tonight and it was awesome!!! Not only is it fun to make with a little one, but Ms. M really liked it. She still has a little trouble managing a soup spoon, so after a few good trys with that, we poured it into a cup for her to drink. A great kiddo dinner w/ cheese toast and steamed broccoli!

Ms. M "helped" me make it, too--she took the onion and shallot peelings and put them in the compost. After I rinsed the mushrooms, she rubbed them dry (and took a few bites!). She also helped by mixing all the chopped mushrooms together in a bowl while I sauteed the aromatics (not a necessary step, but good to keep her busy and involved.)

Of course, I am physically incapable of following a recipe, so I thought I'd let you gals know my modifications, in case you want to experiment. First, I made a big mistake and under-bought garlic and had to use garlic powder that I had in my pantry. It turned out okay, but this is obviously not preferred. After the aromatics sauteed, I added a splash of white wine b/c we had some in the fridge, not enough for a glass and I'm a sucker for mushrooms and white wine. When the mushrooms went in, I added a tsp. or so of dried thyme and a bayleaf while it simmered. I used dried shitakes instead of porcinis/morels, mostly to save money and they were fine. When I added the broth, I just added the soaking liquid for the shitakes as well. At the end of cooking, I wanted to enhance the flavor a bit, so I did some salt, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, a dash of worcestershire sauce (has anchovies, so watch out if you don't eat fish) and another dash of rice vinegar (I would have used a squeeze of lemon, but I didn't have one). Anyway, as I said, it turned out great and I thank both of you (Indu & Leena) for the great, easy family-pleasing meal idea!!! Yay! xo, r:)