Saturday, July 9, 2011

Fiesta Bowl!

In between summer travels and getting used to cooking two meals per day (oh, the problems that teachers face in summer!), I planned a menu this week that required only a few ingredients, that I could finish before leaving for Bard, and that would, above all, make me happy : ) Two fiesta bowls and few shrimp tacos later... here is the result! The fresh salsa is my favorite part : )

Ingredients:

For the black beans:
black beans
red and yellow onions (to your liking -- I used one half of each)
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cumin powder
chopped fresh cilantro

For the salsa:
2 large tomatoes, diced
1/2 red onion
1 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon vinegar (I used sherry vinegar)
cilantro, chopped

Other things that are fun to have around:
an avacado
favorite cheese
shrimp
blue corn chips :)
brown rice (I use small grain)

I think the cooking process for this dish is fairly self-explanatory -- for the salsa, chop and toss! For the black beans, sautee the onion, garlic, cumin and oregano, and add the black beans. I think the combination of condiments makes the fiesta bowl pretty kid-friendly too : )

No comments: